WMMC to Host Full-Scale Violent Intruder Drill on March 27
Warrensburg, MO (March 5, 2019) — Western Missouri Medical Center (WMMC) will be the site of a full-scale violent intruder exercise on March 27, 2019, to test how well functions, such as hospital staff, first responders, and communications can work together to address and recover from such a tragic incident.
The exercise is for the hospital personnel and first responders. Anyone nearby the simulation may see a response by a number of first responders, including police vehicles, fire vehicles, as well as ambulances and their crews. A number of University of Central Missouri (UCM) Nursing students will also be participating as mock victims during this exercise.
About the Exercise:
- Hospital shootings are relatively rare. The training provides the opportunity for everyone involved to practice critical steps, such as cooperation between police departments and crisis communications, that are needed to respond to most emergency scenarios.
- Over 100 people and 13 different organizations will be involved in the exercise, including the Warrensburg Police Department, University of Central Missouri Department of Public Safety, Johnson County Sheriff’s Office, Johnson County Ambulance District, Warrensburg Fire Department, UCM Nursing Program, Johnson County Fire Protection District, Johnson County Central Dispatch E-911, Johnson County Emergency Management, Mid-America Regional Council, Missouri Veterans Home, Dialysis Clinic, and Whiteman Air Force Base Emergency Manager.
- This exercise will not impact patient care.
- This type of exercise is supposed to appear realistic. Therefore, communication will be issued to employees, the public and signage will be posted to ensure observers know this is a drill.
- At the conclusion of the exercise, there will be an “after-action” discussion to allow each organization to discuss strengths and areas for improvement.
For questions about this exercise, please call Kim Lockard, WMMC Emergency Management Program Administrator at (660) 262-7525.
Other Recent Posts by WMMC:
About Western Missouri Medical Center
Western Missouri Medical Center (WMMC) is a fully-accredited acute care county medical center located in Warrensburg, MO. WMMC prides itself in emergency care, obstetrics, orthopedic and general surgery, family healthcare, internal medicine, outpatient clinics, ambulatory care, rehabilitation services and more. Inpatient services include medical, surgical, intensive, obstetrical, orthopedic, pediatric and skilled nursing care, as well as a wide range of therapeutic and diagnostic outpatient services. This institution is an equal opportunity provider and employer. Learn more at WMMC.com
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Tara Carlyle
System Director of Communications and Development