WMMC CEO Releases Statement on Preventative COVID-19 Measures
Warrensburg, MO (March 13, 2020) — Over the last few weeks, the world has been faced with an unprecedented challenge to contain the novel coronavirus (COVID-19). We are taking extreme measures to ensure the safety of our patients, employees and greater community. It is our responsibility to respond appropriately and proactively to minimize the spread and harm from this disease within out greater community.
On behalf of WMMC, I want to communicate our actions in response. I acknowledge our employees’ loyalty to continue to provide the best care for our patients during this time. Our exemplary history of quality care and customer experience shine through all of these actions as a team.
From the onset of this situation, the leaders of our organization have been following the guidance and information provided by the appropriate sources. Our preparedness plan has been agile and ever-changing as a reflection to the worldwide situation. We continue to monitor the situation and assess risks as we implement changes to ensure the safety of our employees, patients and community.
What we KNOW:
- At this time, we have learned of a second “presumptive-positive” case of COVID-19 in Greene County, MO following last week’s confirmed case in St. Louis, MO. At least 65 residents have been tested state wide.
- There are no confirmed cases in Johnson county, MO and have been informed of no known confirmed cases related to Whiteman AFB.
- The situation has been classified worldwide as a pandemic, causing additional responses by many in the last 48 hours.
What WMMC has implemented:
- Incident Command Center has been opened at the facility with executive leadership to keep open communication and swift action in response to all needs while focusing on safe and effective operations.
- Twice-daily huddles are being help with management of hospital and outlying clinics to keep all leaders informed
- Since onset, monitoring of Personal protective equipment(PPE) availability has been ongoing to ensure healthcare providers have the PPE to properly care for our patients.
- Rigorous additional cleaning procedures have been introduced with increased cleaning at points of entry and high touch points
- Created challenge internally and for community #teamup2cleanup designed for additional cleaning of high touch points
- Created COVID-19 webpagefor easily accessible information
- All business related travel has been suspended until further notice
- All nonessential vendors restricted from entering
- Screening measures implemented for employees’ personal travel which include an algorithm for quarantine, mask protection and symptom monitoring
- Limitation of public entrances to the Medical Center. Staff are stationed at these entrances conducting screening of visitors following same guidelines as employees for entry
We recognize that the facts about COVID-19 are still emerging, and that the uncertainty can be unsettling. We are committed to providing updates to our staff, patients, community and our ambassadors as new information is available. Please check cdc.org frequently for the latest information regarding COVID-19.
WMMC is prepared to take all necessary steps to help safeguard the health of our community as we continue to focus on our mission. To learn more about what WMMC is doing to be proactive about our community’s health, visit WMMC.com/COVID-19.
We appreciate your continued support. Thank you for your patience and commitment as we respond to this evolving situation together.
Darinda J. Dick
About Western Missouri Medical Center
Western Missouri Medical Center (WMMC) is a fully-accredited acute care county medical center located in Warrensburg, MO. WMMC prides itself in emergency care, obstetrics, orthopedic and general surgery, family healthcare, internal medicine, outpatient clinics, ambulatory care, rehabilitation services and more. Inpatient services include medical, surgical, intensive, obstetrical, orthopedic, pediatric and skilled nursing care, as well as a wide range of therapeutic and diagnostic outpatient services. This institution is an equal opportunity provider and employer. Learn more at WMMC.com